Newfoundland & Labrador

The information contained in the Out-of-Home Advertising Guidelines is being provided for general information purposes only. The information in the Guidelines does not constitute legal or other professional advice or an opinion of any kind. Readers are advised to seek specific legal advice by contacting their own legal counsel regarding any of the information contained herein including, but not limited to, legislative interpretation or specific legal issues. COMMB does not warrant or guarantee the quality, accuracy or completeness of any information provided. Moreover, the information in the Guidelines that refers to third party information, including but not limited to government legislation, should not be relied upon as accurate, timely or fit for any particular purpose. Stated simply, readers should consult their legal counsel before undertaking or accepting any advertising to ensure legal obligations and interpretations are accurate.

Governed by the Newfoundland and Labrador Liquor Corporation

  • The advertising of beer, wine and spirits shall be permitted only for products which are approved for sale by the Newfoundland Liquor Corporation.
  • Electronic or illuminated signs, billboards, posters, and any such related outdoor advertising is permitted subject to prior approval by the Corporation and the following terms:
    • No such advertising is permitted within 200 meters of the perimeter of a place of worship or a school (primary, secondary, junior high, and high schools).
    • No more than 25% of any one advertiser’s inventory of outdoor advertising space in any market shall be devoted to alcoholic beverages at any one time.
    • Advertising content will be for brand and/or corporate name only.
  • Advertisements on vehicles or other means of transportation are prohibited, except on trucks or vehicles belonging to or used by a manufacturer of alcoholic beverages or his appointed representative, and on public transit vehicles which sell advertising space.
  • Signs or displays carrying advertisements are permitted in licensed premises provided that they advertise only alcoholic beverages which can be lawfully sold, kept, or stored therein.

For more detailed information, visit:

Amendment current as of: March 2016
Date of COMMB update: September 2019