Not Just for Grandpax
Drambuie; Not Just for Grandpa
Media Innovation Awards
Beverages - Alcoholic
Introduce Drambuie, a spirit with a reputation as “Grandpa’s drink” to a new generation.
The emerging brown spirit drinker:
- male 25-34
- urban Toronto hipster
- lives and plays in the Queen/Ossington area
- cynical of advertising
- interested in media and technology – smartphone is his lifeline
Strategy and Media Used:
- Transit shelters locations placed Drambuie where the target lives and plays and as a bonus provided top of mind awareness amongst bartenders.
- Takeover creative (chevron pattern on pillars and floor) was purposefully simple yet unexpected and enigmatic.
The Augmented Reality poster/technology was strategically and efficiently extended to other campaign touchpoints beyond the Queen West Transit Shelters including:
- Augmented Reality Posters at the Drambuie sampling events and Nuit Blanche activation
- Dundas Square 4-panel landmark transit shelter directly across from the high traffic LCBO and heart of Nuit Blanche
- Amplified posts on Drambuie Facebook page with AR poster (hold your phone to your computer and experience the Drambuie Augmented Reality)
- The actual Drambuie bottle! – necktags at retail prompted the AR experience while in the store or at home (hold your phone to the bottle and instantly get the recipes)
Watch a video of the campaign execution here: https://youtu.be/qA-Yh4VvBpw
- Over 5,500 sessions were experienced over the length of the campaign (48 days-4 shelters)
- Sessions averaged 2.5 minutes of concentrated brand engagement
- Majority of users saved a photo and/or shared the experience via Facebook or Twitter
- In a declining category, Drambuie experienced growth in Ontario attributed to the campaign (awareness and sales peaked during the periods of the campaign)