Walking Wounded is a charity that supports Australian returning veterans facing post-traumatic stress disorder. The campaign aimed to increase donations in order to save returning servicemen and women from suicide by building awareness on this critical issue.
Strategy and Media Used:
The campaign ran for two months, using place-based digital and static boards as well as outdoor ads. Walking Wounded decided to make a real impact and entice donations by showing shocking facts about veterans to Australians. In shopping malls, consumers were able to make a donation on the spot by just taping their credit card on the digital boards.
- 86% of Australians were reached in the first 3 weeks
- 2 in 3 are now aware of suicide affecting returned soldiers
- 51 families contacted Walking Wounded to intervene for a family member suffering from PTSD
- Brand awareness of Walking Wounded almost doubled from 15% to 29%
- 30% recalled the advertising, with recall increasing to 49% in the retail environment
- One in four spoke to friends and family about the issue of PTSD as a result of seeing the advertising
- Monthly online search volumes increased six-fold
- More than 20,000 social brand engagements occurred during the campaign; and
- Three in five who recalled the advertising said that they are likely to donate to Walking Wounded in the future.